At Carter G Woodson Academy, the Counseling Department works to address the academic, career, personal, and social development of middle and high school scholars.
- CGWA serves approximately 260 boys in grades 6-12
- School hours: 8:25am – 3:15 pm
- Afterschool program from 3:15 - 4:45 pm on specific weekdays
- All Scholars are on a Block Schedule with A/B day Rotation.
- Royal Time for all scholars meets at 8:30 am where attendance is taken.
- Each scholar is assigned to a morning Advisory group.
- Students enter CGWA by application process which typically opens in mid September and ends mid November.
High School & Middle School Scholars
- 26 credits are required to graduate from the Academy.
- Each class is worth ½ a credit per semester so high school students can earn 8 credits per year.
- Classes meet on an A-Day / B-Day block schedule.
- Students playing HS sports play for Frederick Douglass High School.
- Two years of the same World Language are encouraged for College Admittance.
- A fourth year of math is taken by all scholars who attend the Academy.
- We encourage students to stick with the same language through high school for college proficiency exams. These courses count as electives.
- Scholars wear a uniform which includes a dark blue blazer with crest and grey pants, white shirt and maroon loafers. A white undershirt can be worn underneath.
No Pass/ No Drive
- Scholars need to pick up a permit form from Mrs. McNary in the front office.
- Scholars should have less then 9 unexcused absences to qualify.
- Grade qualifications are based on last semester.
- Visit DMV.org to get a copy of the Driver's Manual.
"You can't lead anyone else further than you have gone yourself."
"As students prepare for future careers, they must learn to be self-directed, flexible, and creative. They must learn to ask questions and listen to the answers."
|Raising Our Young Men to Achieve & Leading them to Succeed|