Think College Now - Financial Aid
There are four main types of financial aid - grants, loans, scholarships and work-study. Most students qualify for some type of financial aid. All students should complete the FAFSA so they are aware of what resources are available to them. See link below.
Scholarships for Minority Students
- Money for Asian, African American, Hispanic American and Native American Students.
- Funding is available to students on any level (high school through postdoctoral)
- Free resource full of information.
- Get the list scholarships for minorities
- Students must have a 2.5 unweighted GPA for a year to earn KEES money.
- The only classes that are given weighted credit for KEES are AP Courses (not advanced).
- Each student's highest ACT score is submitted at the end of the senior year for bonus money.
- Students must earn at least 5 credits each year to qualify for KEES money.
- Get more information at www.kheaa.com.
- Students should create an account at KHEAA to get information on scholarships, access KEES account, etc.
- Go to "Zip Access" at the top of the screen to sign in and create an account.
- If you earned KEES money you should receive a letter from KHEAA in September of the new school year.
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- You must file the FAFSA to find out if you qualify for federal or state financial aid. Go to www.fafsa.ed.govto complete the online form.
- Do you need a pin number for your financial aid? Check www.pin.ed.gov for more information.
- From the information you give on the FAFSA, each college you list will create a financial aid package for you and will notify you in late spring.
- KHEAA uses information from the FAFSA to award state grants.
- This is a FREE service. You should never pay to submit your information.
Alpha Phi Alpha Scholarship - http://scholarshipapplication
American Water Ripple Effect Scholarship - http://americanwaterscholarship
Apple HBCU Scholars Program - https://www.tmcf.org/our-programs/career-preparation/apple-tmcf-hbcu-initiative
Arts Recognition and Talent Awards - http://collegescholarships.com
100 Black Men National Scholarship Program - http://www.blackscholarships.org/2019/02/100-black-men-national-scholarship-program.html
Black Scholarships: http://www.blackscholarships.org/
Burger King Scholarship Program - http://burgerking.scholarsapply.org
Business Scholarships - http://greatbusinessschools.org
Don Jacobs Organization Scholarship application: http://www.donjacobsorganization/scholarships
13 Easy Scholarships - http://unigo.com/scholarships
Engineering Scholarships - http://scholarshipsforengineers
FAFSA - http://studentaid.ed.gov
FASTWEB Scholarship Search Engine - https://www.fastweb.com/
Garvice Kincaid Scholarship: http://kincaidscholarship.org
Gates Millenium Scholars Program - http://gmsp.org
Going Merry Scholarship Search - https://app.goingmerry.com/sign-up
Gread "Lefty" McGinnis Scholarship - https://www.cappex.com/scholarships/gread-lefty-mckinnis-memorial-foundation-scholarship
Hispanic College Fund Scholarships - http://scholarships.com
Historically Black College & University Scholarships - http://iesabroad.org/info/hbcu
Jackie Robinson Foundation - http://jackierobinson.org/apply
Judi Hale Memorial Scholarship: http//judihalescholarship
Kodak Scholarships - http://kodakscholarshipprogram
Lexington Lions Club - http://www.lexingtonlions.org/scholarship
Multicultural Student Scholarship Packet - http://www.ncat.edu/student-affairs
National College Scholarship Applications: http://www.collegescholarships.org/financial-aid/
National College Grants Applications: http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/
101 College Grants You've Never Heard Of: http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/101-grants.htm
National Honor Society Scholarship - http://nhsscholarships.org
National Minority College Grant Applications: http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/minority.htm
No Essay College Scholarship - https://www.niche.com/colleges/scholarship/no-essay
Ron Brown Scholarships - http://ronbrown.org
ROTC Scholarships - http://goarmy.com
Scholarship Owl Search Engine - https://scholarshipowl.com/
Xerox Technology Minority Scholarship - http://usascholarships.com
SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP LINKS
Scholarships at Kentucky State University
The Academic Scholarship Program at Kentucky State University is designed to recognize and reward students who have exemplified academic excellence. Scholarships are awarded by the Admissions Office to entering students who have not completed a bachelor’s degree program. Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis, and many are renewable for subsequent semesters. Kentucky State University: http://kysu.edu/administration-governance/student-affairs/financial-aid/academic-scholarships/
Scholarships at Morehead State University
Morehead State University's scholarship program recognizes and assists qualified students with scholastic excellence and leadership. All scholarship applicants must be admitted first to MSU. All scholarships are subject to the availability of funds.
Scholarships at Murray State University
Murray State University has numerous academic and leadership scholarship opportunities. To be considered, students must apply online every year. The deadline for application for all undergraduate (high school seniors, current college students, transfer students) is usually around January 15 of each year. To be competitive, it is recommended to have a 25 ACT, a 3.2 GPA and leadership responsibilities. Provide a resume and one letter of recommendation. College level work should be with a 3.0 GPA or better.
Scholarships at University of Kentucky
The University of Kentucky Academic Scholarship Program offers aid to outstanding students who demonstrate the potential for superior academic performance. The William C. Parker Scholarship offers money to minority students. Several departments & colleges within the University administer their own scholarships. University of Kentucky: http://www.uky.edu/financialaid/content/william-c-parker-diversity-scholarship-program
Scholarships at University of Louisville
Students must have all admission documents and scholarship credentials on file usually by January 15 to be eligible. Students only have to fill out one scholarship application to apply for all awards. Minimum requirements to apply for academic merit scholarships are 3.35 GPA and a 25 ACT or 1130 SAT. Remember to take a look at the Porter Scholarship!
Scholarships at Campbellsville University
Campbellsville is a private university in Taylor county with branch campuses in Louisville, Hodgenville and Somerset. It has about 3600 students with 83% from kentucky. The school operates on a smester system and is accredited. Scholarships for freshmen can be found here.
Scholarships at Asbury University
We know that trying to finance higher education (especially private, Christian higher education) may seem like a daunting task, but the Financial Aid Office is here to help you. At Asbury University we want to partner with you in funding your education. It is most advantageous to think about scholarships and grants that may help you pay for your education. Asbury University: https://www.asbury.edu/offices/financial-aid/types-aid/scholarships-and-grants
Scholarships at Bluegrass Community and Technical College
BCTC is a two-year college in Fayette County with branch campuses in Danville, Georgetown, Lawrenceburg and Winchester. It has about 11,200 students. Bluegrass Community & Technical College is dedicated to providing a diverse selection of scholarships to support the financial needs of our students. While criteria is varied with each scholarship, most are based on financial need. Some scholarships also emphasize strong academic need and/or special interests. Funding for BCTC scholarships come from the state government, individuals, businesses and organizations. If you are planning to attend BCTC in the Fall, you should have your application and documentation submitted by March 1st to be considered for all available scholarships.
Scholarships at Northern Kentucky University
NKU is a public university with about 15, 400 students. It's merit-based scholarship program is designed to recognize academically outstanding and creatively talented students. NKU offers more than 5 million in academic scholarships each year to the incoming freshman class. The University awards scholarships to highly motivated students who demonstrate strong academic performance. Students who achieve a 2.5 weighted GPA and a 21 ACT or 1060 SAT or greater are considered for academic scholarships. The university offers numerous scholarship levels.
Scholarships at Eastern Kentucky University
The potential EKU student mustsubmit an application usually by March 1st in order to be awarded any type of money. If they meet the qualifications, they are contacted for their scholarship award. Eastern Kentucky University: https://scholarships.eku.edu/.
Diversity is fundamental to critical thinking and thus enhances what we learn, how we interact with others and how we participate as citizens in a global society. The Dr. Rodney Gross Diversity Scholarship at EKU awards from $1,000 to $3000 per year: https://scholarships.eku.edu/dr-rodney-gross-diversity-scholarship
Scholarships at Berea College
Best known for the 4-year tuition scholarship every student receives when they enroll. The laptops provided to each enrolled student allows the professors to use technology to enrich the classroom experience. Berea College: http://catalog.berea.edu/2014-2015/Catalog/Academics/Scholarships-Awards-and-Prizes
North Carolina A & T State University
Incoming freshmen are automatically considered for scholarships once admitted to North Carolina A&T State University. In some cases, where indicated, individual scholarships will require a separate application. The Freshman Scholarships listed are available to new students, enrolling in a degree seeking program and pursuing their first Bachelor’s Degree. All students are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for full consideration of all types of financial aid. North Carolina A & T State University: http://www.ncat.edu/admissions/financial-aid
Scholarships at Western Kentucky University
The TopDollar Scholarship Portal is one convenient way to apply for scholarships at WKU. In addition to the scholarships that are awarded by the University based on academic merit, there are numerous scholarships that are awarded by the College Heights Foundation through private funds established by alumni and friends, academic departments or programs throughout the University, or by community organizations and professional associations.
Hampton University: http://www.hamptonu.edu/apply/finaid.cfm
Howard University: https://www2.howard.edu/student-financial-services
Morehouse College: http://www.morehouse.edu/admissions/tuition/scholarships.html
Transylvania University: http://www.transy.edu/financial-aid/resources
Midway University: http://www.midway.edu/admissions-aid/apply-to-midway/scholarships/
Tennessee State University: http://www.tnstate.edu/financial_aid/scholarships.aspx
Other Kentucky College Scholarships
Many Kentucky Organizations have set up scholarship programs to help Kentucky students with the cost of college.
Scholarships Awarded by Organizations
Kentucky Farm Bureau 4 Year Scholarships
- Open to high school seniors attending a Fayette County School
- Applicants must be a member of Fayette County Farm Bureau
- Minimum unweighted GPA of 3.0; 1000 minimum combined verbal and math SAT score; 21 minimum composite ACT score
- $5,000 per year toward a 4 year undergraduate degree
- Visit www.fayettecofarmbureau.com for information and application
Kentucky Farm Bureau Vocational / Technical Scholarships
- Open to any Fayette County resident 18 years and older
- Applicants must be a member of Fayette County Farm Bureau
- Up to $10,000 granted to a student pursuing a 2 year Vo-Tech degree or certificate
- Visit www.fayettecofarmbureau.com for information and application
Blue Grass Community Foundation Scholarships
- These Scholarship opportunities are online this year!
- Over 15 scholarships for students with financial need.
- Each scholarship has its own deadline. Be aware.
- The list can be found by clicking here.
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc Scholarship
- $4,000 scholarship ($500 per semester for up to four years) is given to a deserving graduating senior with an unweighted 2.8 G.P.A. or higher.
- African American male students interested in pursuing higher education.
- See your counselor for an application.
- Deadline: Usually due around April 1st
Scholarship for Athletes
- Whitaker Bank and the KHSAA present four one-time $1,500 scholarships payable to an institution of higher learning.
- Open to high school seniors that participate in KHSAA sanctioned sports/sport activity.
- Scholarships are based on excellence in areas of Academic Achievement, Leadership and Community Service.
- Eligible students should apply online at http://khsaa.org/application-for-2016.
- The deadline for submission is usually later in February.
- Helps young deserving athletes succeed in their academic pursuits by offering an annual scholarship of $500.00.
- You must be a high school senior to be eligible
- To apply go to www.bigsunathletics.com
- Deadline for essay is in June.
Delta Tau Boule' Scholarship
- Must be a high school senior planning to attend a four-year college or university in the fall.
- Must be a resident of a Kentucky county where an active Archon of Delta Tau Boule' resides.
- Must have a weighted or unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Must have an ACT score of at least 19.
- See your Guidance Counselor for an application. Deadline is late in May.
Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship
- Award Amount: $20,000
- Awards Available: 2
- Deadline: March 8. You will receive a response by April 22. (Current)
- Scholarship Description: Blacks at Microsoft (BAM) is a company-sponsored employee network dedicated to supporting the continued growth and development of black employees at Microsoft Corporation. Applicants for the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship must be high-school seniors of African descent (for example, African-American, African, or Ethiopian); must plan to attend a four-year college or university in the fall of the year following high-school graduation and plan to pursue a bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, computer information systems, or select business programs (such as finance, business administration, or marketing). A minimum 3.3 GPA and financial need is required.
- For more information or to apply, please visit the scholarship provider's website.
- Contact: Scholarship Committee 1200 5th Avenue Suite 1300 Seattle, WA 98101 firstname.lastname@example.org
Bill Ferzacca - Education Scholarship (2-$2500 scholarships)
- Must be admitted to a college or university.
- Must intend to earn a degree in Early Childhood Education or related field
- Must be a resident of Fayette Co.
- Must demonstrate a financial need for the scholarship.
- Must maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA to keep the scholarship.
- Must not be an employee of the Community Action Council
- Application Deadline: April 2019. See your counselor for a copy.
KY American Water's Ripple Effect Scholarship
- Recognizes outstanding high school seniors who demonstrate leadership in academics and a commitment to the environment.
- Kentucky American Water is now accepting applications.
- Non-renewable scholarships of $500 will be awarded on a one-time basis and may be used at any university, college or trade school.
- Applicants must live in a Kentucky county served by Kentucky American Water.
- Scholarship applications must be received by early date in April 2019.
First Scholars Program
- The mission of First Scholars™ is to dramatically increase the graduation rate of first-generation college students — students whose parents have little or no education beyond high school may qualify. Students are given individualized academic and social support, personal development, and financial assistance.
AES Engineers Scholarship
- $500.00 scholarship offered to motivated students
- Must be a senior in high school and applying for college
- Submit essay to qualify
- Entry must be received by October 2019
- Click here to learn more
Blue Grass Energy Scholarship
- $1,000 Scholarships - 10 available
- Scholarships awarded based on Academic achievement, extra-curricular involvement and financial need
- Applicants are graduating high school seniors planning to attend an accredited college or university
- Eligible applicants have a 3.0 GPA or higher - download application here.
- Deadline: March 2019
Central KY Directors of Pupil Personnel Scholarship
- $500 College scholarship to student who has overcome obstacles
- Good attendance is emphasized
- Must have 2.5 GPA or higher
- Should have Goals for the future
- Shows Leadership among his peers
- Participates in Free/Reduced Lunch Program
- Apply here. Deadline: April 10th
- Check out your KEES scholarship at www.kheaa.com
- Check out the scholarships in your local area in Affording Higher Education in your counseling office or on the webpage
- Check out scholarships at the colleges you are considering - online.
- Check out over 7,000 scholarship using the search at kheaa.com.
- Ask about scholarships at your church.
- Be prepared to write an essay.
- Create a scholarship resume'.
- Ask your parents about an employee scholarship.
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.: http://www.apa1906.net/scholarship-application
Alpha Beta Lambda (Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.): http://www.lexingtonalpha.org/scholarships
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.: http://www.kappaalphapsi1911.com/?page=foundation
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.: http://www.phibetasigma1914.org/2016-national-scholarship-application/
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.: http://oppf.org/scholarship/
Iota Phi Theta: https://www.iotaphitheta.org/